Lisieux is considered to be the second town of pilgrimage in France. Sainte-Thérèse-de-l‘Enfant-Jésus lived at the Carmelite convent in Lisieux, where she is buried.
Lisieux is world-famous thanks to Therese Martin, better known as Sainte-Thérèse-de-l'Enfant-Jésus. Lisieux is considered to be the second town of pilgrimage in France with some 700,000 visitors each year who go to see the Basilica built in her honour (the biggest church built in France in the 20th century).
Lisieux has retained many tokens of its rich past. It was the seat of a Bishopric almost from the birth of Normandy until the French Revolution. During that period the town was administered by the Bishop-Counts, who influenced the town's architecture for centuries. The area known as the "Canonical Quarter" dates from that period, and includes the Cathedral (one of the first in the Norman Gothic style), the Episcopal Palace, the hôtel du Haut Doyenné, the Bishop's Palace Garden and the canonical houses...
In the footsteps of Sainte-Thérése : Born in Alençon on 2nd January 1873, Therese lived at Les Buissonnets when her mother died. The house contains mementos of Therese's childhood. She lived there from the age of 4 1/2 to 15 years and 3 mois (the age at which she entered the convent). At the Carmelite convent, the Chapel has the Saint's reliquary and the Room of Relics contains souvenirs of her daily life. The "Diorama de Sainte-Therese" retraces the main events in her life, with wax figures. The Basilique Sainte Thérèse is one of the largest religious edifices built in the 20th century, and was consecrated on 11th July 1954. The crypt with its three side isles, and the 300 foot-high Dome, are open to visitors. The exhibition "le Carmel de Sainte-Thérèse" presents the history and the life of the Carmelites nuns.
CERZA animal park: (at Hermival les Vaux) 500 wild animals in an area of over 50 hectares (123 acres). A Safari Train takes visitors on tours of the park.
The Domaine Saint- Hippolyte: (in Saint Martin de la Lieue) site oriented towards the discovery of local and traditional products ("produits du terroir"). Classed as an Exceptional Taste Site ("Site Remarquable du Goût"), it allows visitors to learn all about the production of Norman cheeses.